More like Notre Lame (**update**)
I had a lot of time to think on the drive back home from LA on Sunday, what with *someone* sleeping the whole way and whatnot. I got to thinking: I've made this drive before, a lot, mostly after witnessing another huge embarrassing failure by my Irish. Let's stroll down Memory Lane, shall we?
11/30/2002
Thanksgiving weekend 2002 was my first trip down for the USC tilt. With an Orange Bowl berth on the line, we made a Heisman Trophy winner that day my friends, and no it was neither Carlyle Holiday nor Ryan Grant. Carson Palmer threw for 425 yards and four touchdowns, and the Irish were outgained by an astounding 610 yards to 109 as the sixth-ranked Trojans beat my No. 7 Irish 44-13. Oh. My. Pain. With chants of "Overrated! Overrated!" still ringing in my ears, I got back to my trusted old Cherokee to discover that someone smeared ketchup all over the doors. Insult to injury. I should have never gone back.
11/27/2004
But I did go back. Heading in to face the top-ranked Trojans, winners of 19 straight games, I thought that we had our ace in the hole. See, the "molder of men" was the last coach not named Poodle Pete to leave the LA Coliseum a winner, back when he was coaching The Tree. 400 passing yards, 5 TD passes, and another 31-point loss later, we made another Heisman Trophy winner (pictured here and here), (nope neither Brady Quinn nor Ryan Grant). Thanks to the steady rain throughout that night in Compton, no one could see me cry.
11/26/2006
A year after the "Bush Push", the 6th ranked Irish were unable to extend their 8 game win streak as they were once again out-classed by the 3rd ranked Trojans. Brady Quinn and Jeff Samardzija playing in their last regular season games weren't enough to snap the Trojan 32 game home win streak. USC scored on their first three possessions and the former Irish recruit Brian Cushing began his career as Irish-killer by returning an onside kick 42 yards for a touchdown, and then walked directly through my post-game tailgater. The nerve of him! The worst part of the weekend? The damn mariachi band that played throughout the entire first half. If you guys play so loud I'm unable to hear the party cheering for each and every Trojan play. Note to self: people watching the game with rabbit ears know what happens before you do on your satellite. And you won't be happy about it.
11/30/2008
What can I say about this game and weekend that hasn't been said already? The Irish matched my non-existent expectations with their futility. Too much speed and toughness for the 5th ranked Trojans, the Irish didn't cross midfield until the second play of the FOURTH QUARTER. Good times, good times. There goes Jimmah Clausen's undefeated streak against teams from California that dates back to his junior high school days. Whoops!
And those are just the FOOTBALL games against USC in LA. Have I suffered -slash- maybe-been-responsible-for more pain with the Irish? You betcha.
Part 2 coming soon.
Labels: notre dame

2 Comments:
You claim to be a player.... Good times! well..all but the actual games of course.
I know! I mean... how many times would someone ask me about my weekend/trip/vacation and I've replied "Great, except for the game". Countless. Just wait for the next post....
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home