Thursday, January 08, 2009

Chronicles of Hernia

Yesterday was the 9-week anniversary of my bilateral sports hernia surgery. That's right, folks, it's been 9 long sad tearful weeks since they put me under at Sequoia Hospital and sliced me up. So I visited the good Doctor Brown, he kinda felt around a bit, and said I was good to go. I have not been in love with how I've been healing down there, but he assured me that I would need to "fall out of a plane" to rip one of those sutures. So I got that going for me.

After the surgery I was completely inactive for the first three weeks. The next three weeks I was running 2-3 miles every other day, at a snails 9-10 minute/mile pace. The final three weeks I've been ramping up the mileage a bit, I was running 5-6 miles every other day until I got the go ahead. Today will be my third run in a row, and I'm finally starting to see some paces that start with a 7. I've got a lot of work to do, but at least I'm cleared to do it.

With this experience officially in my rear-view mirror, I can look back on the last 9 weeks fondly. I think my favorite part was gaining weight. But I also liked "working out" by walking up and down Marina Green stooped over like an old man. I was like a mall-walker. Oh, and how could I forget navigating the icy sidewalks back at Notre Dame trying not to re-tear anything. It was so snowy and icy there I thought there was only one lake! Fool.

You know what you use your core for, folks? Everything. It was eye-opening.

So now it's time to start working on my next athletic injury. Any suggestions?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:02 AM , Blogger Dennis Joyce said...

Your "snail's pace" is my "kicking it into high gear". How do you calculate your mileage splits? Right now I just kind of run for time and then I get in the car and try to figure out how far it is.

I have a suggestion for the next injury - how about a pulled back muscle? Everything the core does not, the middle back, does.

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Team Vazac said...

I wear this old calculator on my wrist. They make more modern ones now, but aww snap, $156 on Amazon, and elsewhere on the interwebs < $150.

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger Team Vazac said...

And the back is a GREAT idea. I haven't injured that for serious since 8th grade high jump. I know what you're asking, and yes, I could clear four feet. I was like a pogostick.

 
At 6:06 AM , Blogger "Thundar-struck" said...

I like that old calculator you wear on your wrist.

 
At 9:33 AM , Blogger jdoughe3 said...

I vote for severe paper cut.

Ohh..maybe stubbed toe, instead. So many options.

 
At 6:41 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I have a late entry into the next injury suggestion box: slip and fall on some ice and break your nose in 3 places. Diane may or may not have done this yesterday. Awesome.

Also I think you should use this calculator watch.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home